Wednesday 31 October 2012

I scream, ice cream

I have had this idea in the back of my head for some time, in a slightly different form, but I gave it a tweak to make a great project for you to make with your kidlets this Halloween.

I started by making some ice cream cones. Of course, you could do this with ready made cones which would be easier, and spray them or paint them to get the colour you want. But being me, I decided to take the hard way.
















The recipe is very simple, just mix together 2 egg whites, 100g of sugar and 85g of flour to a paste.













I made a stencil of the cone shape I wanted with some acetate, and then, with an off-set spatula spread out 2 dessert spoons of the mixture. You have to make sure that you have greased your baking tray really well,  then put it into a medium oven (I have mine at 140 on fan) for about 8-10 mins, but check every minute after the first 5 mins to make sure they are not burning. As soon as they are out of the oven, lift them off the tray and form them into the cone shapes. You have to be careful not to burn your hands but if you don't do this immediately they will harden and crack when you try to bend them. You can download a pdf of the recipe and the template here.













I coloured half the mixture green and then made some chocolate cones by replacing 25g of the flour with cocoa powder.



















My first creation was a princess cone. Using food colours I painted her face and then added some pink hair (strawberry ice cream). I gave her a little candy fascinator, and then added some pink dreadlocks (strawberry laces). She was my favourite of the day and I loved how easy it was to paint the cookie cone, my imagination has started to go into overdrive thinking what I can paint next!













The kidlets came up with their own designs. So we have a zombie cat, an alien, another alien (we basically made the ice cream cone added the decorations and sprayed it silver using edible spray paint) and a witch. 
They really enjoyed making their little ice cream characters, but I do have to include a warning. this project may make you kidlets turn green!


xxx

2 comments:

  1. Green kids what could be better! Fabulous cones there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! I have an airbrush which would be fab to change the colour of the cones and you could theme them for different holidays. Your kids did a fab job on their designs too :)

    ReplyDelete